2010 Fifa World Cup: Local Organisation Committee
World Cup was the biggest sporting event ever hosted in South Africa. DesignSpaceAfrica was one of the firms which were appointed to assist with the construction of stadia for the 2010 World Cup. The design principal Luyanda Mpahlwa was part of the LOC Technical Team which was appointed to provide:
2010 LOC Technical Team who provided Oversight Project Management and monitored construction for all 2010 World Cup stadia.
The mandate of the LOC Technical Team included the following tasks:
- Provide interface with FIFA to ensure that the stadiums complied with FIFA requirements for the World Cup event. These requirements were coordinated with the Host Cities in South Africa.
- Providing Oversight Project Management and Master Programming to ensure that the stadiums are ready on time for both the Confederations Cup in 2009 and the hosting of the World Cup in 2010.
- The Oversight Project Management included Cost Monitoring during the construction of the 10 stadia. The LOC Technical Team provided progress reports to the LOC board during the 5 year preparation period. These were coordinated with Government Teams from National Treasury and Department of Sports & Recreation.
- Construction monitoring through to completion of stadia.
- Monitoring; FIFA inspection and host city compliance
see more on the Cape Town stadium on DEZEEN here